Monday, October 27, 2008

Stuck in the bathroom

Pablo was on a trip. Lorena had had a bad night; she'd kept waking up so I finally let her come to our bed. Arantxa had had nightmares so I had to go to her room to soothe her (but she never woke up). I was unable to fall sleep again, so I was awake from 2 to almost 6, and then fell asleep. I woke up again, later than when I usually start. I had to get going fast since it was a school day. In fact, we had to leave a bit earlier than usual as I had to drop off Lorena at her friend's house (close by) since I had to take the other kids to school and had to stay for a class.

She wanted to take a shower with me but I did not let her. She resigned herself to being with me in the bathroom. As I was getting in the shower, she started kicking the bathroom door (it is one of those pocket or sliding doors, it slides into the wall when open). I asked her to stop, she said, "OK, mom" and did with no complain. A little while later she tried to get out but she couldn't. I instructed her to unlock the door (a bit tricky, twisty lock). She still was unable, so she had to wait for me.

As I got out of the shower and tried to open I realize that her kicking had stuck the door, moving it off its rail. Getting on my serious mommy voice I told her that we were stuck in the bathroom since her kicking had stuck the door. Well, I did not expect that to be totally true, but it was. I tried pulling the door, but of course I had little leverage. I tried pushing it back in place, but after 5 or so minutes I realized that I couldn't.

I called Arantxa who was sleeping (I was not sleeping mom, I was playing in my room and making a story). She came running into the room (I was expecting to get my big morning hug) but was surprised to find nobody ("hey, where is everybody" I thought, why did my mom call me if she was not here).

She came to the bathroom door and I explained what had happened and what she had to do. Now, Lorena is naturally strong while Arantxa is more like Bruce Banner and can only be super strong when angry, so just in Hulk mode. She kept trying though, but unable to get it.

I was naturally, ready to go to plan B, have Arantxa call the neighbors, get her to unlock the door, and embarrassingly wait for Nacho to come. Her only phone experience has been when we pass the phone to her, and we've showed her how to dial 911.

Altogether 10 minutes had passed and it was getting really late. Finally, Arantxa was our heroine and was able to push the door back in place. We rushed through breakfast and Arantxa got to buy lunch at school instead of taking from home. We got Lorena to Mia's house. She was SO excited, they were still in PJ's.

We were a bit late for picking up our carpool buddy, but still on time to arrive punctually at school.

All is well that ends well.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

What a morning...and yay for Arantxa for saving the day!