Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Country Dance

There was a hoe down at school a couple of weeks ago. The 3rd graders (I think) have a big pioneer/Lewis and Clark unit, and starting last year they will have this as an annual event for the whole school community.

I had scheduled long before we knew about it, a mom's night out with the playgroup moms; so I was unable to attend. Pablo said he'd take the girls. After careful review of their wardrobe, it was clear that we did NOT have anything remotely appropriate. Luckily, I ran into Krystyna at Costco that morning, and she came in with some clothes later on.

Lorena, decided, by just glancing at the clothes, that there was nothing girlish enough for her to even consider wearing. Luckily, she had come home with a HUGE stash of clothes, hand me downs from our neighbors (her teacher's kids). I guess I have to go into those. Terri had set aside some clothes on Thursday for the families to look at. By the time Pablo picked her from school, Lorena had already picked a ton of outfits (some went straight to Arantxa's drawers). Thanks again Terri. Lorena then settled on a dress.

Arantxa, as usual, gets into everything, and she goes full speed ahead. She asked me if she could wear the flannel shirt, from Nicolas (2.5). It did fit her, and she was even able to close the buttons, the sleeves, naturally, come 3/4. She also got Agnes's dress on.

here go the pictures. Arantxa, all ready to go.

Photobucket

Pablo, looking super handsome and even wearing boots.
Photobucket

I just love this picture and I am not sure why. I think it reminds me of Patricia (my sister) as a little kid, wearing a green cowgirl costume, with a similar hat. We had so much fun when we got a big trunk of costumes from Tía Laurita (sibling fact checker???). anyway, outside of the party place.
Photobucket

and her, the girls in action. Pablo says they could barely follow the instructions, but both of them have shown me some of the moves, and explained the name of the dances.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Mostly, he says, they had a good time running around, and they got to have a good dessert.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

What an excellent event! Their costumes are just brilliant.

Lorraine said...

Wow does that look like fun! I would be in trouble for costumes too - we rely on my stepmom's volunteer job at a charity thrift store for situations like that. Everyone looked marvelous!